In my research, the typical rule-of-thumb for practicing is;
- Daily – 6 to 7 days per week
- 1 hour per day for hobbyists, and to maintain your chops.
- 2 hours per day for semi-professionals and those wanting to improve their dexterity and understanding of the language of music.
- And 3 hours per day for professionals. For others 3+ is productive, apparently for others additional time may be counter-intuitive.
- 40% of your time being spent on repertoire with 60% being spent on developing new repertoire & techniques.
Here’s an inspiring video from Victor Wooten, which places emphasis on playing, practicing, gaining a musical education and the study of your instrument. Plus a fine display of utilizing harmonics in your playing. Music as a Language